Sunday, May 24, 2009

Day 7 Christiansburg, VA




Day 7, Buchannan to Christiansburg, VA, Sat. May 23, 55 miles: Ok, today I thought I’d give you a typical day for this tour. I’m up at 5:45 am since I am one of the assistant cooks, and I get out the coffee, food for the cooks, and set out the lunch fixings. After Breakfast, I wash dishes and put it all away. So that means I am one of the main cooks for tonight’s dinner and the next morning for breakfast. Break up camp and get on the road at about 8:00 am. We’re usually hungry in an hour, so we stop for more coffee and either eat a sandwich that we have made or buy (like today in Catawba) at a little podunk store, noted for its hot dogs, chili beans and hardware. (see Photo) After lunch, back to the ride (no snakes today). Then on the next town and , in this case, the St. Paul’s Methodist Church. After showers (one shower stall for all of us) we cook the food that we have decided on, call all to dinner, and afterwards, have our map meeting for the following day’s ride. To bed and exhausted! OK, Now for today…the best way to describe today’s riding is “steep, steeper, and steepest! Beautiful continuous rolling hills, but super steep…16 % in some places. 55 miles went by quickly, but we are pooped. I did a dumb thing today. I usually clean off my tires with my hand once in a while as I ride. While cleaning the rear tire, and going 20 miles per hour, I accidentally wedged my hand between the tire and the frame. It locked up the rear wheel and the bike skidded to a stop still with my hand stuck in the frame. I didn’t crash, but came close. Arriving in Christiansburg, there was a hot rod car show going on. My first car was a 1936 Ford “5 window” Coupe. Brings a tear to my eye every time I see one. Dinner was at a Chinese restaurant (we cheated). One other biker crashed today and went to the ER room. Nothing major, but skinned up a bit. We have to exit the church before they start their Sunday Services, so we will get up and out early.

No comments:

Post a Comment